Athens was named after the goddess of reason, art, and literature- Athena. Ironic? We think not. Art is one of this city’s foundations. From museums and galleries to theatre and the display of nature’s art found on UGA’s campus, the Classic City embodies all that Athena represents. Athens has been the home of renowned painters, writers, actors, and more. Here are a few of our personal art favorites:
- The Georgia Museum of Art: Housed at the University of Georgia, the Georgia Museum of Art provides 20 to 25 temporary exhibits a year.
- The Gallery at Hotel Indigo: Guests, locals, and visitors are all encouraged to stop by Hotel Indigo to see their art gallery showcasing regional artists.
- CINE: Athens’ only art house cinema, Cine screens independent, international, documentary festival, and classical films. Enjoy a cocktail too!
- Good Dirt Clay Studio & Gallery: A community clay studio where people of all ages can enjoy creating their own art.
- ARTini’s Art Studio: Paint and Sip! Enjoy sipping a drink while creating your own artistic masterpiece.
- ATHICA: An independent, non-profit gallery promoting and supporting innovative and contemporary art and artists.
Jarrett’s Favorite Art Spot:
Carol’s Favorite Art Spot:
GA Museum of Art
For a complete list of Athens Art happenings and locations, click here.