Retirement in Athens
Choosing a place to retire is never an easy decision to make. Individuals and couples have to decide on a city they will love, one they know they can thrive in, and one that will house new memories. The Classic City could be that place for you.
It’s no wonder Athens was named by Forbes as one of the Top 25 Cities to Follow Your Passion in Retirement. From it’s beautiful neoclassical architecture and Greek Revival mansions to its wide array of cultural and artistic festivals and activities, Athens provides a retirement experience that will keep you feeling engaged, involved, and ready to tackle all the beauties retirement has to offer.
When it comes to retirement, retirees are often in search of a city that can provide them with peace of mind, low-cost living, and a high quality of life. Whether it be the search for affordable housing and happiness or quality healthcare and hospitals, Athens has become a prime location for retirees searching for a city filled with character and convenience.
It comes as no surprise to ‘Your Home Team’ that Athens has also topped Southern Living Magazine’s “Best Small Towns in the South for Retirement” list!
As you consider making our home your home, here are a few more reasons why Your Home Team thinks Athens should top your list of retirement destinations!
– College Town- Keeps the youthful air fresh and access to cultural, musical, and other events is ever-present.
– Cost of Living is 8% below the nation-wide average.
– Median home price of $161,000
– Warm Climate
– Active Economy
– Fair Taxation for Retirees- There is no state income tax on Social Security earnings, mild taxation of pension incomes, and no state estate or inheritance tax.
– Excellent healthcare- St. Mary’s Hospital and Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center, along with access to physicians and specialists throughout the city.
– Affordable senior and low-maintenance living in several communities- Ansonborough, St. Ives, Woodlake, etc.
– The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute- Provided by the University of Georgia, OLLI provides mature adults with lifelong learning in areas such as art, computers, health, politics, and more! Learn More…
Contact Us For Your Retirement Needs!
While you are navigating the waters of retirement decisions, we are here for you. Your Home Team is available to answer all questions you might have about Athens, affordable senior housing, and senior opportunities. Call us today and let us help find you the perfect home to peacefully enjoy your years of freedom and leisure!
Read More about Athens and Retirement:
Hear What Retirees Are Saying about Life In Athens….
We are so happy with our decision to pick the Athens area for retirement! The community has been so kind and welcoming. It has that “small town” feel but we are still close to an amazing, energetic and lively university town, and a 90-minute drive to the Atlanta airport. We are able to enjoy our beautiful home, amazing weather, and wonderful neighbors, but we still have access to flights anywhere in the world. We can hop on a plane to visit our grandchildren, or head to any number of vacation destinations around the world! We also love the wide variety of excellent restaurants in Athens. We can choose any type of atmosphere from casual to formal, and select from menus that offer a tremendous variety of cuisines. The community is young and alive, making every experience from shopping to dining to movies to theater simply fun and delightful! – Rich & Margaret